CB750 16

Having recently acquired a Honda CB750 through a friend and fellow Lita of Buffalo, my goal was clear; GET THIS THING RUNNING.  The need for a second bike was there last riding season as I was venturing further and further outside of the city, having trouble at times keeping up with the big boys.  My goal was to locate a CB550 and get comfortable on that by spring.  Since they became so damn desirable again the passed decade I was having a really hard time tracking one down.  Through a series of amazing people and some cold, lengthy shop time I’m most certainly on my way.  Before I knew fully how rough this machine was (the CB750), I had to start taking it apart.

This is what the project started as.  The engine is seized inside of the frame.  You can tell by trying to push the kick start.  When it is not seized you’ll hear (an feel) the motor.  Mine would go halfway, stop, spring back.  There was nothing engaging when I lowered the starter.  The next step was to try and strip it down to the frame and the engine, starting with the small stuff.  I began with the seat because it was falling off to begin with.  Rust has been a large issue with this bike.  So I started by removing the seat.

There will be a separate section on what I’ve done to the seat.

CB750 9

After I took off the seat I began to tackle the bundle underneath the left hand side cover.  What I could only assume was the rectifier, battery box, regulator, etc?

 

CB750 10

It was basically Castlevania in there, so I just started to unplug where I could see connecters.  Some rusted out screws held these pieces to the frame, but an adjustable wrench and my rubber mallet was usually able to free what wasn’t too far gone.  Bagged, separated and removed I then started on removing the battery box.

After that I began the task of the headlights and the fenders.  The wiring was frustrating, but oddly satisfying.

CB750 3

cb wiringCB750 11

The wiring was fun, but aggravating.   Following each individual cluster and unwrapping all of the black started out as a fun and entertaining process.  Once they began running in hard to reach places it became like more of a game to see where they branched off to, through and under what.  Wiring was out and the crusty parts adjoined.

cb empty frame

I drained the oil, without a center stand it involved some rocking, but man did it have more oil in it than I bargained for when opening up the cap to let the flow out.

CB750 5

After realizing an old coffee cup I ran for wouldn’t hold it, I grabbed an actual drain pan and let the rest drain over night.

cb oil proper

 

Realizing that this story has a pretty uneventful ending, besides being profitable for me in many ways getting towards my goal, but I have now sold this CB750 for parts after pulling off the carbs and properly estimating its value.  This was for sure a learning experience for the innards of a bigger and more complex bike.  Having purchased the CB550, I will keep posting along the way for the work I do on that new ride.